View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Live well, laugh often

Lucy has never done well on the lower protein high carb foods. They make her gain weight really easily even if the calories are the same as the higher protein. I agree that the acana formulas are awesome and are a good compromise between the lower 20-23% proteins and the higher 45% Evo type foods. You can also just give half kibble and supplement with home cooked. If you cook, make up a big soup-pot full and freeze in small portions so it's not too much work. I actually did this for a while with Lucy at one point but with the amount of food Riley eats the cooking would be a full time job.

Boil some boneless meats (chicken, beef, turkey, etc) with a LITTLE brown rice, sweet potatoes, or other whole grains like barley, quinoa, millet, , and some assorted veggies cut into very small pieces - you can buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies for example, as long as there are no onions (at least 3/4 meat and the rest grains & veggies) and if you want to add some flavour then maybe a bit of low-sodium chicken or beef broth. You will need some calcium so for every pound of raw meat you will need to add 1 tsp of finely ground eggshells (collect your shells, dry them well and pulverize in a coffee grinder). You can also get plenty of raw recreational bones to gnaw on if she is interested. They do amazing things for their teeth. I would also supplement with salmon oil and possibly rotate through other supplements. Mix the mush with plain yogurt, or some rinsed canned fish occasionally etc. Try to vary the ingredients a bit each batch!

You could also consider feeding some canned food .