View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM

I posted back in July about my now 12 y/o dog Cody. Three weeks after that post it was discovered that he had a tumor in his lung. On Aug 10th, he had surgery to remove the tumor and part of his lung. He is completely recovered from that surgery and just a week ago had a check up x-ray and everything still looks great.

Two weeks ago, I came home to blood splattered on the wall, couch and floor. I don't know when it started since I wasn't home, but it ended maybe 15 minutes after I got back. The following day he sneezed and had a small one for maybe 5 mins. Last night when we returned from our nighttime walk, he started eating his food, and he randomly started this intense sneezing. Then the blood came. It only lasted for a few minutes, and luckily since it was nighttime, he went right to sleep.

This has been going on for over a year now with the sporadic bleeds. There has been one bad one which actually started while we were at the vet's office. The vet tech was following Cody everywhere he went with a mop lol. The rest have been pretty manageable. He still ALWAYS has clear liquid in his left nostril...I'm constantly getting dripped on or slipping on the stuff when he's on my wood floor.

Our vet said the only way to know what's really going on is to do a CT scan and scope. But the thing is...we've already chosen to not put Cody thru chemo/radiation for the lung cancer, and we wouldn't put him through it for nasal cancer. He has had 4 surgeries (bladder stones, two cruciate ligament repairs and the lung cancer) in the past 5 years so we don't want him to have to be put through another procedure when we wouldn't even try to treat the disease. Plus, on average, he has less than a year left before the lung cancer comes back and then well, I don't even want to say it.

I'm just SOOO curious as to what could be causing this, but I guess I'll never really find out.

Oh, and when he went in for the check up xray, I learned that he dropped 2 pounds in the past month. Not sure how that happened. We have to go back in a week or two to get an update. If he's still dropping weight, he'll have to go through bloodwork.

It never ends.