View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayeddog
... and I never crate him when we're at home, even though I think he's tired and should sleep, so maybe I should start doing that?
I crate my dog when I'm home, but usually it's when I can't watch him - i.e., mopping floors.. it's not for long, 30 min or so ... but this way he knows the crate is not just for when I leave the house.

I also have a special blanket on a chair for my dog - he knows it's HIS spot, so when he's out of control (being a brat) I send him to his spot for a down/stay. Does matty have a speical spot all his own (not including the crate)? you could designate a mat, an old towel on the floor, etc.. When he lays on it, treat/praise, if he gets up "oooops, back on your mat"... just an idea.

Quote:
When he's distracted though, he'd take his time, and I might have to remind him several times before he comes back. Should I reward him when he does finally come back?
you don't want matty to learn that 10x you yell "come" he needs to come. You want him to learn to come on the 1st call. I would NOT reward if it Matty came to you when he felt like it. However, if he came for the first call, I'd reward him like he won the olympics. You could also go back to teaching this on a very long training lead, you could reel him in if he chooses to ignore you. Give yourself a pat on the back for 9 times out of 10 though, I think that's outstanding!

Quote:
He has enough space to lay down and sleep inside and that's pretty much it. I feel bad for crating him when we're not home, but then he gets destructive when he's out ...
then for his safety you should crate him when not home. don't feel bad, you're keeping your home and your dog safe. he doesn't need enough room for a party, just enough to lay comfortably and turn around.

Quote:
and now we're stuck with a very high energy dog.
I think with all the effort you consistantly put in to Matty, you'll end up with a lovely lab