View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:36 AM

Cat with limp tail/pain

My 6 1/2 year indoor cat Elsie is not doing well; please help! 2 weeks ago, we returned from our week long honeymoon to find her in bad shape. The people taking care of her somehow managed to break her automatic feeder, and she didn't eat for at least 2 full days (she had plenty of water, although i'm not sure how much she drank as she typically drinks after eating). We also noticed the following day that her tail was limp and she wasn't moving it at all. The people "taking care" of her (if you can even call it that.... I'm so mad at them!) said nothing happened to her tail that they know of. Anyway, I took her to the vet that Monday; they did an x-ray of her tail, and said there was no apparent break, but it may have been a pull injury. The vet didn't seem to think the not eating thing was related, and prescribed steroids and pain killers. At first, Elsie seemed to be doing better, although her tail never went up more than "half mast." The last couple of days, though, she seems to be in a lot of pain, and started hiding under the bed again (which she did when we first returned as well). We thought she may have reinjured her tail again, but we have no idea how. Now when she doesn't have pain meds in her system, she walks reeeaaaaalllly slowly (obviously in pain), and tonight she even hissed at me when I touched her near her rear-end (very out of character for her). She still appears to be eating, drinking, and peeing/pooping normally, and is about halfway through her steroids. It's been just a little under 2 weeks since I took her to the vet. I spent $280 at that visit, but I'm wondering now if I should take her back for blood work/urinanalysis since they didn't do any of that at the first visit (even though I really can't afford it). I should also mention that she was treated for a UTI about 5 months ago (no problems since). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by elsie522; January 25th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.