View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticSmile View Post
Thank you guys for all the replies. I will skip the choker and look into the halti. As for the trainer... well, we had considered obedience classes previously when we first got them, but as we've been preparing for a big move, we just never got rolling with it. Now as I've said, they are great dogs other wise and I really don't think we need classes on how to do the things they already do well - besides which we don't exactly have money to spend on things that aren't problems. Do they have trainers that do just the walking part of it? I mean, everything I've ever seen is like a "class room" you bring your dog to with a bunch of other "students" and someone runs you through all the basics (including walking - but we wouldn't really need the other stuff, and how can you train your dog to walk properly inside with a large group of dogs anyways?). What do I look for in a trainer? (I don't really know to much about hiring trainers.) How much does one usually cost?
Look for a positive reinforecement trainer that offers one on one classes. I think that would help you out more because you get the chance to ask specific questions. It depends on your area of course, but around here one hour consulation is around $60, sounds like a lot but you may only need a few sessions. Group classes are good, but are more geared to teaching basic obedience. I have seen Gentle Leaders work wonders with dogs, depends on the dog. I would defiantely try it, it gives you a chance to reward them when they are not pulling Or you can just train them to walk beside you by rewarding them whenever they are walking beside you and not pulling. Even start in your backyard on leash, so there is less reason to pull. Reward everytime the dog is in line with your leg. It may take tons of treats at first, but they start to get the idea after a bit.
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com