View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
One dog at a time...

Opportunity to foster a malamute

Several months ago, I signed up with "Guardian Angels for Soldiers' Pets" to foster a dog for a soldier when he/she is deployed. When I filled out the application, I noted that I would prefer a dog around the 15 pound range due to the size of my dogs. Today I received a call from the organization asking if I would foster an Alaskan Malamute. When I asked if the dog got along with other dogs they told me "some of them". After explaining to them that I had three dogs of my own, of which the largest is 20#, I didn't feel comfortable fostering a dog so much larger than mine, especially if there was a possibility that mine could get hurt or worse. The lady was very understanding and I asked her to please keep me in mind when another, smaller dog needed to be fostered.
Then I started second guessing myself and worrying that the Malamute wouldn't be able to find a foster home and that the soldier would have to turn it over to a pound or humane shelter and it would be euthanized. After doing a bit of research on the breed, I feel that I have made the right decision concerning the safety of my dogs due to the high prey drive of the Malamute. I do wish I had asked more questions of the lady who called but it shocked me that they would ask me to foster a Malamute that my mind just went blank. Did they not review my application? I specifically stated that I would foster a smaller dog. I guess I am a little upset because now I feel guilty for refusing and am worrying about the dog and the soldier.
I suppose I am just ranting. *rant over*

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!

Last edited by My Lodi Girl; March 10th, 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: ranting over