View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Traveling with a Dog's Medication

In August, I'm hoping to be traveling home to Newfoundland to visit family, friends, and for my Mom's wedding. I say hoping because, although the tickets are booked, we're waiting to see about Keely's medical condition. She's booked to travel with me in the cabin on Air Canada.

Do any of you have experience traveling with a pet's medication? She's most likely going to be on the phenobarbital, antibiotics, and I have valium/syringes in case of a seizure that I want to take as well. I will get a letter from our veterinarian explaining that she is prescribed these things, but I'm not sure how it is going to go over. I can't find any Air Canada number to call about it.

The Canadian Air Transport Security Agency says this on their website, "Syringes - Must be for personal medical use, and the needle guard must be in place. The person must possess medication that is to be administered by means of the syringe or needle and biojectors, and the medication must be in a container that bears the name of the medication and the name of either the pharmacy that dispensed the medication or the manufacturer of the medication."

Does medication for a dog count? I'm assuming it should, but I am a little nervous about it. Also, they say she has to stay in the carrier at all times. Do you think they would let me take her out to give her the valium if she has a seizure? I wish there was someone to call about this but, again, can't find a number.

I'm going to make sure she's allowed to travel & the vet thinks it'll be fine before I take her, but I am just wondering if any of you have any experience with this kind of thing. Thanks