View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Help.....and I need some advice to calm me down...

I have always been a cat owner. In fact, my husband and I have 3 male cats, all neutered, healthy and indoor. Last year when we found out we couldn't have children we decided to get a kitten. Needless to say, given the circumstances surrounding her arrival I am terribly attached to her.

We have recently decided to have her spayed. I know, it should have been done sooner but what counts is that we are doing it. I am so terrified of leaving her alone. She has never been by herself and I can't stand the thought of leaving her at the vet by herself. Not only that but I have started having nightmares (please don't make fun of me ) about terrible things going wrong during her procedure. I know, she's just a cat.

My main question is though (questioning my sanity aside) how do I know what vet to trust? I have called three vets here in Burlington and got varying stories (makes me wonder if they really do just take us for a financial ride) from what tests need to be done beforehand to the time frame between the shots (she is due for vaccinations) and the surgery.

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts. Do we have to wait 2 weeks in between shots and surgery? Do they have to have blood tests to make sure they are "healthy" prior to surgery? What about when the vet doesn't mention that?

Sorry if this post makes no sense but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!