View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgue View Post
Great points, TwoLostSouls!

When I put him in & just walk away, he goes crazy - whines, barks, bangs around, pulls up the bedding, etc.

I thought maybe I need to calm him down first? So now I put him in, get him to sit & lie down, pet him until he is calm, then I close the door & walk away. He still whines & barks but it seems to be less panicked... At least I think so?

I do feel bad putting him in there though, so maybe he picks up on that.

I thought maybe he was freaking out because he just spent all night in his crate and he doesn't want to be in there again so soon.

I can't have him barking that early when we're gone though, so I'm still at a loss for what to do?
petting and sitting w/ him until he calms down is in fact REWARDING that behavior. It's a natural reaction, yes, but not good to stop the carrying on. you should accept the fact that dogs (pups in particular) will bark, whine and cry a bit. They WANT to be WITH you, so we can't blame them for fussin about it. They do stop though, most don't carry on longer than 15-20 min. I would give the pup a stuffed KONG to keep him occupied, and just leave. when the noise stops, THEN let the pup out.

my dog is a basenji mix, and let me tell you... a whining/crying basenji pup is a horrid noise - they yodel & scream. I could hear my dog when i was IN my car in the driveway, but he always stopped about 10 min later, and in a month or so he stopped entirely and was used to (and loving) his "room" (crate).

toss in a favorite long lasting treat, toy (KONG) or nylabone (for puppies) to help occupy the pup.