View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM

The crate is in the kitchen area - we don't want to put it in our bedroom because he is not allowed in the bedroom. We are keeping him away from carpets until he is house-trained. I can try putting in a t-shirt. The door is open all day, but he only sometimes goes in there to lay down. He usually sleeps by the couch where we are.

It's a plastic crate (petcargo) with a wire door. We cover it with a blanket sometimes but I'm not sure if he's less anxious being totally in the dark or if he is less anxious if he can still see us in & around the house…

The crate is a bit big for him right now, and he did soil it twice in the first couple days. But now we put a towel and his bed in it, and he loves his bed so much that I think that helps him keep from soiling it. He hasn't soiled it since we put his bed in there.

We have a Kong - do I just spoon regular peanut butter into it?

We do have to leave him alone for about 2 - 3 hours a day when our work schedules overlap. He's been left alone a couple times for 2 - 3 hours and he's done fine. I'm trying to crate him more even when I am home, and I give him treats but I'm worried about giving him too many treats (he's gained 6 lbs in 6 days since we got him, as I put in the Food forum).

I'll start feeding him his meals in his crate too…

I can't wait until my dog LOVES his crate!! It breaks my heart to put him in there!