View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

where is the crate? crating works best if it's in the same room as you, preferably next to your own bed. you can then reach it to put a finger close to the pup to reassure him it's ok. try putting a dirty t-shirt in w/ the pup - scent plays a powerful role, can be very reassuring to a new puppy.

Pups aren't born loving a crate. you need to SLOWLY build up time spent in a crate, and ALWAYS keep it positive. start by crating for a min or 2, work up to 10 min, work up to 30 min, then up to an hour or so. a pup should be crated for 1 hr equal to month old. 15 wks = 3mths = 3 hrs TOPS at one time. of course, you should work up to 3hr, not start off at 3 hrs.

to keep it positive, always praise, treat and even feed in the crate. I got my dog a water bottle (much like a very large one you'd see on a hamster cage) so he didn't spill his water while in the crate.

wait by his crate and when there is a split second break in the whining, let him out. he'll learn good calm behavior is the way to go.

if you keep it positive, short time periods, and as the other poster said, routine, he'll come to LOVE his crate. my dog happily runs into his whenever we say the command "kennel". in fact, I often find him and my cats in there snuggling!