Thread: My boy Mickey
View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM

My boy Mickey

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share that my dog Mickey passed on friday June 28, 2013 at the age of 17 years old. When I got home that last wednesday, I saw that it wasn't just a "bad day". It was his time to go. His head was always turned to one side, he couldn't stand-up or walk by himself. I had to carry him inside. He vomited a few times and wouldn't eat anything. He drank water but I had to hold his head and help him. He slept most of the time, waking every 4-6 hours. I would help him drink and I changed his sheets and blankets if he urinated.

When I took him to the vet clinic for the last time, my vet confirmed what I already suspected: his brain was affected. I stayed with him till the end, petting and talking to him. He left quickly and peacefully. The vet told me I could stay with him longer so I stayed awhile. More than a week later, when I returned to the clinic to get his ashes, I received a plastic-coated card with his footprints as well as a handwritten sympathy card from the vet and staff. It was totally unexpected. I thought I had finished crying but boy oh boy did the tears ever come back when I saw his footprints and when I read the card. I spread some of his ashes on Kalou's grave. She was Mickey's soul mate; she died 9 years ago. I'm sure they are together now, playing and having a ball!

I'm sad but I'm also happy: he had a good and long life. He was a happy dog and most importantly, he was loved. He was a great dog, a beautiful and gentle soul, always cheerful with an eternal puppy face smile . He was "mon petit homme" (my little man). Although the last few years were more difficult (it wasn't always easy taking care of a very old dog) memories of a younger Mickey are coming back.

I'm thankful I have my other dog Arielle and my 2 cats Kira and Jadzia. They make me smile and laugh. Here are the photos I posted when I first joined this board. Mickey is the blond and white dog.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58871
(I hope I did it correctly, my computer knowledge is very limited, my now ex-hubby helped me when I originally posted those pictures.)

Thanks for reading.