Thread: Charlie is sick
View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM

The numbers in the brackets are the reference range H & L would indicate high & low. I've never come across the M1-M3 though - was that an in-house test or sent to the lab?

TP 58 (60-85) Total protein Increases indicate dehydration or blood cancer, bone marrow cancer; decreases indicate malnutrition, poor digestion, liver or kidney disease, bleeding or burns.

T bili 105 (0-4.5) total bilirubin A component of bile, bilirubin is secreted by the liver into the intestinal tract. High levels can lead to jaundice and indicate destruction in the liver and bile duct.

total bilirubin = conjugation bilirunbin + unconjugated bilirubin

C bili 63.3 (0-2) Conjugated or direct bilirubin Conjugated bilirubin has been transformed from fat soluable to water soluable, water soluablility is mandatory for excretion in the urine. It has been suggested that increases in c bili in hemolytic icterus may be due to compromise of the excretory system of a previously normal liver injured by anemic anoxia (absence of oxygen in inspired gases or in arterial blood or in the tissues)

ALP 130 (10-85) Alkaline Phosphatase An enzyme produced by the biliary tract (liver). High levels indicate bone disease, liver disease or bile flow blockage.

An ALP elevation is definitely suggestive of liver disease and requires follow up testing such as a bile acids liver function test

ALT 198 (5-110) Alanine aminotransferase An enzyme that becomes elevated with liver disease

AST 110 (5-71) aspartate aminotransferase Enzyme normally held inside liver cells, increases shown when liver disease is present

ALT & AST These enzymes elevate relatively easily and are not as important in liver evaluation as ALP elevations but a substantial increase may also warrant follow up liver testing. In the event of hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver, the elevation in ALP is often dramatic

CK 1121 (15-295) Creatinine Kinase Damaged muscles produce creatinine kinase, which goes into the bloodstream. High values indicate problems with muscle, possibly including the heart. Most of the time it's high due to stress, struggling when blood was taken or dehydration

Chol 1.0 (2-7) Cholesterol Decreased levels are found in an overactive thyroid gland, intestinal malabsorption. Elevated levels of cholesterol are seen in a variety of disorders including hypothyroidism and diseases of the liver, kidneys, cardiovascular, diabetes, stress

K 3.5 (3.7-5.8) Potassium Essential electrolyte assisting in regulating nerve impulse & muscle contractions, blood pressure & heart function not a significant decrease but should be monitored, they may add K+ to the IV fluids if they haven't already to brring the level back up.

In my opinion from what I see I would say you are looking at liver disease (leaning more towards liver issues), pancreatitis or possibily IBD, but definately you are right to bring him back in tomorrow.

I would ask about the Bile Acids Liver function test when you bring him in.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying