Thread: Our Greenhouse
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the compliments on the greenhouse. Hubby will be happy to hear them. The gardening is entirely hubbies domain though, not mine. I help with stuff, but it's his baby. He has a watering system set up with a small tube and valve that he waters with. We keep all our herbs and some of our larger outdoor potted plants in there through the winter, so it's always heated, but not necessarily hot. I have the hydro bills to prove it. Yes we run a grow op, but it's a tomato grow op officer!

Two years ago we had a really bad summer and of our 40-50 tomato plants I don't think we had six red tomatoes all summer. Last summer we had sooooo many tomatoes, and they were so big (someone asked me if they were pumpkins!). All my neighbours would hide when they saw me coming with a bag of tomatoes.

I am not sure what type of tomatoes he grows. He collects the seeds from friends who have good tomatoes. Some are very large, he does not do any of the cherry type tomatoes at all. We have some Roma tomatoes also, but with all the bee's flying around we get many that are cross polinated plants and who knows what you're getting! It's always a surprise in my garden.

This summer he's going to plant his garden but he'll be away for all of August so guess who's going to be in charge then?? Me!!!

Heaven help me, that's also when the bee hives are full of honey and very hard to lift and move for inspections and such. He normally helps me with that, but he won't be here. I hope my back holds out. When the honey supers are full they weight about 100 lbs and are hard to move, especially if they're stuck to a second one, with 75,000 bee's coming out to ask "Hey what you doing with my winter dinner???"