View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM

It concerns me, basically because he is such a popular personality right now and the media is covering so much on him and this dog. As someone who studied journalism, I can say the dog story makes a great human interest story and shows that the Obamas are a "normal" family and he is a doting dad to his daughters. If he had not mentioned the darned dog in the acceptance speech, I don't think we would be hearing so much about this.

It is bad enough that dogs are seen as "fashion accessories", now they have to get political. Regardless what he picks, he is doomed. Go with a purebred, he didn't live up to his mutt comments. Get a dog from a breeder, then he didn't get the shelter dog. The mixed "designer" dogs make me sick. I just wish he could take this an opportunity to educate and say that he is getting the girls a poodle mix. I fear for Labs right now. I won't see the Marley movie, but I'm reading so much about people wanting yellow labs. These dogs are being so overbred. And then to mix them with poodles. It is so sad. The back yard breeders will have a field day, and the poodles and labs will suffer so much.

I will say that we did not see a huge increase in the popularity of Scottish Terriers after the Bush family got Barney (and then Beazley). Some of this I attribute to the Bush's less popular status and not having children in the White House. My vote would be for the Portugese water dog. Maybe Ted Kennedy could "gift" the girls one of these. Realistically, any dog could cause the child issues with allergies and asthma. Even if they really want a dog, not every family is suited to have one--it is a fact of life and sometimes parents have to be the bad guys and say "no". I wish people would not buy the load of bull about hypoallergenic dogs.