Thread: Raw bones?
View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM

The dog is a HUGE factor in this. If your dog is a power chewer, don't give him dangerous items. Period. Bones that have been cooked are obviously at the highest of the list, but even rec bones can crack or damage their teeth.

I give my golden retriever knuckle bones and marrow bones (with marrow scraped out) all the time. He is never left unsupervised with them, but even so, a little 4 inch $3 marrow bone will last him MONTHS if I let him (until I end up throwing it out). He'll chew the meat off in one sitting, then chew the bone when he's in the mood. He is not a power chewer (he plays with them more than he chews them), and since he loves them so much, I'll offer a new one to him as an outside treat or just a reward at the end of the day.

There were times when he was younger when he would really get into it (obsessive chewing), and so I made it clear that this was not to way to chew these bones. He now gently chews them (scrapes with his back teeth), or scrapes them with this front teeth. He's never bitten off pieces (he doesn't even try anymore), so I don't worry about it. The first time he does though, would be the last.