View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2003, 03:57 PM

EmilyE,

Although I don't know your pain personally, I would advise you to not purchase an english bulldog in a pet store, or any dog for that matter. I know you will probably notice on these boards that many people shun away from pet stores, because who knows where they get their pets from. It could be puppy mills, irresponsible breeders who can't sell off their dogs. I'm glad to see you won't be buying from a store again!

Try to look for a breeder that can offer you a health guarantee, papers if you want them, but also if they breed by reservation, meaning they don't have a litter until they have enough buyers to take the dogs. And don't be shocked at what you'll have to pay, bulldog females (or bitches, but I HATE that term for them!!!) are often sterile, or give birth to stillborn puppies. Again, that could be something you could look at, if they have a bitch that hasn't produced live puppies, but nothing else is wrong with her, they may offer her to you at a reduced price because in reality, to a breeder, she would be no good to them.
My husband's family currently has a british bulldog, and they are worth every penny, but you have to do a lot of research to find a good breeder. Your best bet would be to start either with a club for the breed where a breeder might be registered. there are a few in Ontario, I only know because I was looking over the internet a few months ago, but I'm not sure exactly where they are located.

Sorry if I'm no help at all, and I am sorry for the loss of your puppy, that must have been very hard.

Ruffy