View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Looking for advice about picking a dog breed or adopting!

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping you lovely people can give me a hand.
I'm a 21 year old, chronically ill female who is looking at getting a companion dog. I'm just collecting some research so I can decide what I'm gonna do.

I live at home with my parents and will probably be here for a few more years. I've got a rare incurable neurological disease that causes chronic pain and some weird neuro symptoms. As a result, I spend a lot of time at home, which can get lonely. We do have a family dog named Montana who is a 10 year old Sheltie - I love her to bits, but she's quite aloof and stand off-ish. I'm a uni graduate and will be working in a career that allows me to work from home so I will have lots of time to spend with a dog.

I'm looking for a dog that needs low exercise (gentle walks a couple of times a week), not a barker (or can be easily trained to not bark, unlike our Sheltie!), will get along with Montana, and most importantly, is a cuddler! I want a "velcro" dog - something to keep me company. Bonus points if they are small, like a lapdog.

I've been looking at the Havanese breed and the pug so far, but am very open to any suggestions. I'm also looking at potentially adopting a rescue that is already known to be cuddly and needs a home. However, my parents prefer if I get a puppy because they think it will be easier to train them and befriend Montana.

I would love any advice or thoughts you guys have, thanks in advance!