View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM

There's a thread here about introducing a new cat to the family. I've also been doing a ton of reading because I plan on getting a new pair of kittens in November.

Since kitty is recovering from surgery(mine will be as well) I would definitely try to make intro to the established pets slow.

-Start new kitty in a room by itself with it's own food, water & litter box(I plan on putting ours in my oldest daughter's room). Visit it often but let it come to you, just sit in the room and talk to yourself so the new kitty can get used to your voice. Have any other members of your family do the same thing. Once the new kitty seems comfy in it's isolation room take the next step.

-Do a scent exchange. Take a blanket or towel that has been with new kitty all this time and exchange it for one that has had all the other pets in the house on it. I plan on doing this once a day for three days so all the animals get each others scents.

-Supervised visits with the other animals outside the isolation room. I plan on assigning a person to each pet and making sure that everyone is behaving. I also plan on have a portion of the house open for exploration at this point. I plan on doing this for 20 minutes twice a day for three days.

-My house is small so at this point I will open the house up to the new cats and let the established animals into the isolation room but if I had a larger house then I would open the house in stages so as not to overwhelm new kitty.

Of course all of this for me is still months away but let me know how it goes for you and if any of my suggestions helped. From what I've read this is basically the way to go.

Some names we've talked about; Max & Ruby, Toopy & Binoo, Chaos & Discord, Enigma & Mystery.

Also(copied & pasted from ASPCA site)
What Is the Recovery Process for Recently Spayed or Neutered Cats?

Although your cat may experience some discomfort after surgery, he shouldn’t be in pain. Depending on the procedure performed, medication to control pain may be sent home with your cat. Here are some tips for a safe and comfortable recovery:

Provide your cat with a quiet place to recover indoors and away from other animals.
Try to prevent your cat from running or jumping for the first few days following surgery.
Prevent your cat from licking the incision site, which may cause infection, by distracting him with a few treats or by using an Elizabethan collar.
Consider using shredded paper instead of cat litter, since dust from the litter can also cause infection.
Avoid bathing your cat for at least ten days after surgery.
Check the incision site daily to confirm proper healing.

If you notice any redness, swelling or discharge at the surgery site, or if the incision is open, please contact your vet. Also call your vet if your cat is lethargic, has a decreased appetite, is vomiting or has diarrhea following surgery.

Last edited by cassblonde; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Forgot name suggestions. Added spay info.