View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Family Dog Mauls Boy

July 4, 2006 -- A 3-year-old boy is recovering from dog bites to his face after the family dog attacked him on Monday evening. He's at his Lower Valley home with 9 stitches on his face, some right below his left eye.

Family members say the dog, named Killer, was a mixed breed who looked like a Cocker Spaniel.

They say Killer was eating when 3-year-old D.J. got close to him and the dog attacked.

"I never expected it, never. If I did I would have gotten rid of him a long time ago," said Margarita Salas, D.J.'s mother.

Salas says Killer was never aggressive. She says he was protective of her grandparents and stayed in their room most of the time.

Family members tried to pull Killer of D.J.'s face. His uncle managed to pull Killer off but was attacked as well.

"I just got him off. I started kicking and punching him. The second punch, he bit me," said Joe Reza, the victim's uncle.

The attack has taught Salas a lesson that she wants to share with other parents.

"Any kind of dog can end up attacking , whether it's big or small," said Salas.

She also resents that Killer was never neutered. As KFOX reported, dogs that have not been spayed or neutered are up to 3 times more likely to bite.

The owner of the dog was cited for not having the dog vaccinated. Animal Control picked up the dog Tuesday morning. No word yet if the dog will be put to sleep.

Copyright 2006 by KFOXTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be