View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Greyhounds shot on the sly in England

Sooo much wrong here. I don't have anything against greyhound racers who adopt their dogs out, but using them for four or five years, for no higher purpose than entertainment, and then killing them is just wrong.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...2307_1,00.html

In addition to shooting dogs and burying them in his garden, some of the owners of these dogs thought they were being adopted out!

Quote:
One is Pauline Harrison, a greyhound owner from Barnsley, who met evasion and lies when she tried to find out what had happened to her race- winning dog, Stormy Silver. He was five years old when she decided to retire him in 2002. Terry Dee, a registered trainer attached to Kinsley stadium, a licensed track near Pontefract, West Yorkshire, offered to find him a new home.

“He took him off me but when I tried to find out how Stormy Silver was doing in his new home a few weeks later Dee kept putting me off. In the end I rang the retirement home and they said they hadn’t had any dogs from Kinsley.

“Then Dee said he’d lied and in fact he’d given him to a woman but it took weeks to get the number. In the end, I spoke to this supposed new owner and she said he was doing fine. But Stormy Silver had a toe missing and when I asked her which foot it was on she didn’t know. She said she would call back but after that the number became unobtainable.”

The owners of some of the 52 other dogs entrusted to Dee also want to know where they went. After they complained, Dee was brought before the NGRC and said he had given the dogs away at motorway service stations but had not kept records.