Thread: hard decision
View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Here is the link:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/all

This is the food I've had the most success with keeping Puddles vomiting down to almost non existent (she was eating crap food before).

If you are going to feed real food (by that I mean a real raw diet) then I highly recommend you read these link as cats have a very particular diet:

http://www.catinfo.org/

I understand your issue with handling raw meat, I don't like it either and when I make my raw, I actually start feeling queasy, but I do it for the health of my cats.
I got a coupon from their site and got 1 tin of the canned food to try, i got some kibble for Spencer too. He ate every scrap this morning. Mischa ate the wet food i gave her, she likes it and didn't throw up.

Thanks for the link. I might not have to handle the meat . i spoke to my mam about it and she handles meat for my dads so i bet she'd have left overs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I'm vegan too, so I instead of making my own raw diet (although I wouldn't be so terribly averse to it, but my husband is), I buy frozen commercial raw. Not sure where you're located but here in Canada there are some excellent products available. It's really no more difficult than opening a can (as long as you remember to take it out of the freezer in time to thaw!). Commercial raw suppliers also tend to source their meat from more humanely raised animals (ie not factory farmed) than the big pet food companies do. The only drawback is that it CAN be more expensive than other methods of feeding (although you usually feed less, so in some cases it balances out). You also have to consider the bigger picture, which is that if it helps resolve any health issues than you end up saving money on vet bills.

Oh, and you can get some pretty exotic protein sources with a commercial raw food that you'll rarely see in cans. My cats have tried everything from ostrich to wild boar to kangaroo to llama. This variety can be a lifesaver for cats that have food allergies.

One thing I'd recommend if you haven't already is eliminating ALL dry from her diet, even if it was just for treats. Some better treat options are 100% freeze-dried meat like PureBites or Halo Liv-a-Littles.
i'm in ohio. I'll have a look at the pet places in the area and see what they have.

i am looking for other sources of protein so i can try and eliminate fish altogether, that's really the only way i'll be able to tell if it is a fish allergy she has.

She gets very little dry food, the occasional treat. I have no objection to trying other forms of treats, i'll have a look.