View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Thank you so much for your advice.

Her ears have flared up again, despite the fact I've been putting drops in, maybe I haven't been using enough. Last night I felt sorry for her and let her sleep on the couch. The first time she growled so I used peanut butter on my hands to help get her off (she licked my hands while hubby lifted her), worked a treat. Then (I know this is silly, shouldn't have let her back up to rehearse the same situation) she snuck up again. This time the peanut butter didn't work. So lesson learned, I just shouldn't let her on the couch, especally when her ears are bad.

This morning she was mouthing my hands, then she grabbed my jumper sleeve and wouldn't let go. Got back on her haunches and starts growling. I think this is her wanted attention from me and also tryign to play a game. She only does it with me. So from today on I have vowed to not let her mouth on my hands unless I offer, she can practice her soft mouth on my hubby. And I'm just going to have to be tougher on the grabbing at my clothes. Not mean, just tougher as in as soon as I've got her off I'm going to remove myself from the situation, or her, nicely like you said, put her in her crate. I've been watching her with my six year old, she is so gentle, never mouths, never grabs her clothes, never ever would growl. I think its because my daughter has never been anything but gentle with her.

I think I need to change the script between her and I, she needs to find more positive ways we can interact, it tummy rubs, licking etc. I'll make it my mission for the weekend.

Oh and we have upped the exercise. More gentle walks and more play dates.

I've been practicing gentle restraint, so I have treats in my hand, and hold her on my knee in a cuddle - her facing away from me. She relaxes and I give her treats. Do you think this is a good idea?

Comments on my strategies greatly appreciated. I need to believe in her that she is a loving dog with a gentle nature, not the snarling evil dog I see her flip into occasionally. And it makes me scared - not of her, but of what if she was big. Always been quite dog phobic, so I guess this might be part of the problem. Perhaps she senses my issues.

Kind regards
Michal