View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
border collie mama

Enzo my border collie used to hate rides in the car, he would whine and cry in the car, pant and shake, although you wouldnt believe it now, he loves the car. it took a while to get him used to it and get him comfortable in it. first i started out with having him by the car with the door open, and i would reward him for calm quiet behavior. next i got in the car, and i would rewad him for staying calm. next put a treat right inside the car, so he only has to stick his head in to get the treat. keep moving the treat a little farther back until his paws have to come in to the car and the he has to jump in. i couldnt get enzo to jump in so i had to pick him up the first few times and place him in rewarding him when he was calm. Once he is comfortable just sitting in the car, without it being on, or moving or anything, then you can start the engine, and continue to sit in there, rewarding calm behavior. Next step is to have someone drive you a very short distance, so you can stay in the back and reward constantly when he is calm. make it very short and very positive. you can use a favourite toy instead of treats if you like. it will take time and patience, but im sure he will catch on and learn to be comfortable in the car.