View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
cat stuck in a human body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
Hey All!!

So the boys are pretty good but need some work on their recall and leash manners (they're good unless a distraction of another dog, or cat) we were thinking of giving clicker training a try for these. We pretty much know the basics but if anyone can give us the way they do it or any little tricks they use please let me know thanks a bundle!!!

Michelle and the Boys
I work as a dog/cat/human trainer, and I like to use KEYS instead of clickers,..the clicker is an added tool you have to take with you on the walk, but you always have your keys with you right?

follow Paul Loeb school training, and use the keys as your noisemaker: jingle them to get doggie back on track, you can tap the keys on doggies back near the neck for your "bite", so doggie understands who's leading the walk even if doggie get's super distracted by another animal, or loud noise, or other distractions.
the keys even work OFF LEASH: you toss the keys at doggie (soft lob up high in the air) when they land on or near doggie, you give a sharp "NO!" command, the sound of the keys, and the surprise of the intervention with you WAY OVER THERE and now doggie realizes that you are able to control them even at a distance off leash: most dogs feel safe at distance, they know you can't catch them, so they are more apt to "misbehave", but with a couple of key tosses the animal realizes that you are in control/pack leader even when doggie is out of arms/leash reach.
the keys also work as a "come" command (you always jingle the keys before the walk, right?), even when the dog is at the beach off leash, and out of eyesight, they can hear that jingle of the keys MILES AWAY, and will come running when they hear it after only a short time learning the sound.

your first few walks will have lots of jingles and plops on the back, but as the animals learns your rules and limitations on the walk, you'll start going on walks where you never jingle or tap even once.

I really like using your keys as a dog training tool, as they are ALWAYS WITH YOU and the animal really "keys" into working with them/you

try it, you'll see

Last edited by reckon; December 23rd, 2008 at 07:29 AM.