Thread: Anti-social
View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
i havent experienced this, but you might ewant to try umbilical with her. Put the leash aorund your waist and attach it to her collar. By doing this she has to follow you everywheres you go, which makes you more of a leader in her eyes.
I would not feel the need to do that with a dog who simply likes to spend time on their own... Assuming there is not behavioural/training problems, I see nothing wrong with a dog who likes their own space.

Our previous dog was like that due to a rough beginning (from a puppy mill - little socialization and some abuse before she came to us)... It was just part of who she was - she was always in her part of the house unless it was meal time, biscuit time or walk time. She liked peace and quiet and as soon as anyone came into the bedroom she was in, she'd quietly leave and sleep elsewhere.

To a certain extent, Dodger is also like that as well. He can be extremely aloof - it has nothing to do with leadership. Its his personality. Nothing wrong with a dog expressing their personality IMO.

While its not usually a lab quality, I wouldn't be worried unless there are other issues. There is no need to force her to stay in a room with you IMO.