View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM

depends on each situation, breed, dog

i think it totally depends on the owner's situation and breed of dog. not to mention the dog's unique personality themselves.

i am a fan of doggy daycare for the first year. afterwards, it's not as necessary. the most important socialization period in regards to doggy daycare benefits is between 4 to 8 months. afterwards, it's not a bad idea but you probably don't need it daily.

most of my friends who are dog owners dropped it down to just once a week to every few weeks. or if they know they will be away from home for an extended period. some only keep their older dogs there when their dog needs a grooming - most daycares have grooming services. you get a discount on either the grooming or the daycare (or in my case - we get a discount on both). the added benefit is that rather then getting wound-up after a grooming day where they spend a lot of time just sitting/standing around, daycares promise to tire out your dog as well.

my pup loves doggy daycare too.

but i agree with some one else who mentioned it already - it may take time to find the right one for you and your dog. we had to go to 3 different places before we landed one that matched us. you can always set up a 1/2 trial with them, as well.

for us, our dog is great with other dogs but he's shy around aggressive dogs. we found a place that does not accept dogs with behaviour problems or are too aggressive. in other words, they seek clientele with dogs that are either sociable or easy to become sociable.

this suits us. but may not suit other owners who have breeds that are more above the ave. with energy.

Last edited by shyeyes; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: for clarity