View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Very interesting article MX3. I am curious actually what the word 'dominence training' actually really means.

I am confused. (not surprising)

I was watching the interaction between my GSD and the puppy. His mouth was gentle, he would use his weight to push the puppy from him when she got too 'rough'. He also gentle puts her whole neck into his mouth. You can see his gentleness in holding her still until she settled, and then he released. Again using his body to redirect her next 'plan of attack'. And it starts all over.

Within minutes the GSD turns towards the Anatolian. The clash of the Titans. Both on hind quarters, neck holding, chest smashing, random pawing to get the other off balance with the final holding the neck ...with the release and the play continues. All this supervised as both are sore losers.

All this to say that everything observed using the GSD as an example, is a dog that uses negative, positive and positive negative, and finally dominence. Interesting thing is that the GSD adjusted his tactics to fit the situation based on the size of the dogs he interacted with, and his ability to understand the difference in their size and most probably the age.

That is why I say that every tool can be used in order to suit the dog and the situation at hand. I appreciate that this is dog on dog interaction, and we as humans can learn by watching such displays but we cannot mimic them effectively...obviously. It gives you the appreciation that the dog will adjust to all circumstances...something that humans must also take into consideration when training, evaluating and interacting with canines.
excellent description of how dogs interact! Thanks! I've been watching my two socialize a lot and it really is amazing the subtleness and signals.