View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Talking Childhood pet stories...

Last night as I was cuddling with my two boys, I started remembering some of my pets from when I was a kid, particularly some of the "funny" memories... and I thought I would share and read some of yours too

2 of the ones that I always remember the most, was with our duck (oh yes we had a big duck as a pet ). She was cute and loud, and just like a dog she would always walk around the house following my dad. I was very young at the time, but I still remember her; and I remember how my mom was miserable with her, not only from how loud she was but also because she ruined her precious garden...

It had really stuck in my head how my mother told me"ducks swim in the water", OK, one day I was alone in the backyard with the ducky (still a young baby her self) now, back home in Mexico our homes have a hmmm, I dunno a big sink kind of thing where we do our laundry by hand (called lavadero), so this is always full of water yup, the lightbulb went on in my head -he can swim - so I took her into the water, all the way IN the problem was, I didn't let go of her, so basically I was drawing her while expecting her to swim. Once I took her out and thought "well she can't swim", she was dryed by my mom and given a little tiny pill that you give kids when they have fever, haha not sure why, but she was not doing well, my mom secretly thought finally the duck is gone. Next morning bright and early, the duck comes in the house loud and happy as usual

-----
My other story, involves my rabbit, he was the best pet I had as a Kid, just the best, and he was all mine too... I shared all food with him, oh yes I did, he loved meats, candy, snacks, and of course veggies and rabbit food . One time we found a bird on the street that was hurt, so we took it in and hope that we could nurse it back to health, he was with us for a few days getting better, which was great. One day we come home and we go to the backyard, where we kept all the animals, and notice the bird is gone, a little sad, but happy too because we thought he was all better and went home yay! - wrong!!!! we turn our head and see our rabbit has some blood stains and a couple feathers around his mouth that was all that was left from birdie (not even bones)... He was a big carnivore, I must say, totally my fault but I was just a kid, how was I supposed to know, he even used to fight our dog for her food.

oh the good old days...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi