View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would find a very long leash (as long as you're in a safe, fenced area a cheap one from the dollar store will do). When she wanders away, tell her to come, and gently tug the leash, reigning her in towards you. Treat and praise her for coming to you. The long leash also helps with teaching fetch.

For stay, don't expect more than a few seconds at first....it can take a while to build up to longer stays. Put her in a sit, and tell her to stay. Back away slowly, and put your hand up in front of you in a "stop" sort of motion (I have found it to be a helpful non-verbal cue). As soon as you get a few steps away and she is still staying, give her a treat and praise. If she gets up and takes off, put her back in the sit and start again. This one can take a lot of time and patience! Start in an area with no distractions, and as she learns you can move it to areas with more things to tempt her to run away on you. It also helps to do this on leash - you can step on the leash as you back away so when she breaks her stay she doesn't get very far and it's easier to redirect her back into a sit!

Since she's so young her attention span is likely not great so try to do several short, fun training sessions throughout the day. Too much at one time will just make her tune you out and she'll end up being more stubborn than ever!

Hope that helps! I taught my own dog all this stuff too so I can't say for sure it's the "right" way, but it worked for us and he does both things quite well now. I second the idea that you should do some reading on NILF training - it's a realy effective tool!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; August 31st, 2008 at 01:13 PM.