View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM

I'm not a pitty owner, but I do have a bone possessive doggy.. He's not as aggressive, so we were able to correct him without getting bitten... I'm not sure you can do that. The main thing is that he realizes that you choose what food he can have and he can't have and that you can take it away whenever you feel like it. I'm just not sure it's safe enough to test it.

I'm a bit aggressive with my doggies (people here are a lot less confrontational ) but to be honest, with Boo, I managed to get the bone away (safely) and then I put him in the "dead" position for a while (lying flat on his side). After that, I gave him his bone back, waited a bit and did it again. If he gave it to me willingly, I didn't make him get into the dead position and he got his bone back right away.

The other thing we did was inundate him with bones. I bought a bunch and left them lying around. That way, they weren't such rare commodities.

Maybe with some dogs it escalates into aggression in other things, but I know a few dogs who are only possessive of bones.