Thread: your opinion
View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Lab Loverr

Well all i have to say about this IS... I AM one of those people who chose not to take my puppy to obedience and Im sure as hell glad i didnt!!

First off: My dog(8 months old) is VERY socialized we go to a dog park everyday where there are tonnes of dogs... and have ever since he was 4 mos old. He plays with any dog that will play with him big or small. He NEVER growls.

Secondly: My dog knows a lot of commands.. mind you were are always teaching him new ones. He does them when instructed to only being told/ signaled once.

a) sit
b) lay down
c) roll over
d) shake
e) heal (AND YES he does come immediatly on and OFF lead.. to my leg)
f) come
g) sit pretty (up on hind legs)
h) leave it (sticks AND when food is left infront of him and he is told to leave it he does NOT touch it until he is told he can)
i) be nice
j) fetch
k) stay/wait
l) fully bathroom trained
m) catch (catch toys or food in midair)
n) he KNOWS his name (youd be surprised how many dogs dont know their name..)

we are still teaching him more as we think of them...

MIND YOU: I am not a trainer of dogs.. Never owned a dog before.

My dog knows hand signals for EVERYONE of the commands listed above and he obeys them verbally and through signalling... we use one or the other.. majority of the time hand signals at home and verbal at the dogpark.

So before YOU classify people into categories.. maybe you should open your eyes meet more people that own dogs... and dont be so judgemental..

I chose NOT to take my MALE dog to obedience because there is no need. AND THATS BEEN SAID TO ME TIME AND TIME AGAIN!

Ive proved it. If you dedicate yourself to your dog, build trust, comfort and have a rewarding relationship from the start... YOU DONT NEED obedience.. and i stand by my word. If i can do it anyone can.. read some books.. watch some shows... IT CAN BE DONE.

People like Anne and Jack Piss me off! Be open minded.

Just cause you couldnt do it on your own doesnt mean others cant!

So dont even!..

caramelito- I applaude your training especially with a Pit.

Anne- My dog is 8 months... how old is yours?? How much money did you waste??... I think you need to shut up now.

Have a nice night all!
Soon to be proud mum of Gilgamesh. (Olde English Bulldogge)

*Lab Lover [COLOR=red]<3[/COLOR]