View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Smokey is back from the vet this evening, the end of his second day there receiving IV fluids. We spoke to the vet earlier today and she said Smokey could come home and was doing better. In addition to the IV fluids, they had started giving him antacids again.

We spoke with the vet when we picked up Smokey and she said that we should go to subq's every other day. She also said that if we wanted to, we could even try every day, and see how that goes. So for now, I think we'll do every day, at least until Saturday, which is when the vet wants to do a blood test again (they didn't do a mini panel during his stay at the vet). We're also going to continue giving him the antacids at home.

The vet said that she hoped Smokey had mostly had a bout of gastritis, but his numbers are up, so it makes sense to increase his subq intake. We'll see how he does on Saturday on his test results.

The first thing Smokey did when he got home was go for his food bowl, which was encouraging. Then he wandered around, sort of like he was inspecting everything to make sure it was in order He drank some water, used the litterbox, etc. I brushed him and he quite liked it, purring and stretching out like he usually does.

I'm watching him like a hawk right now, to see if he goes back to hovering over his water bowl, or displays any other signs similar to how he was acting on Friday. Unfortunately after hanging out for a while, he's gone to sit under the couch, which is where he stayed for most of the day Friday and Saturday when he felt sick.

He's definitely got his appetite back, is less sluggish, and more himself than he was on Friday and Saturday, but the fact that he's back under the couch is worrying. I guess I'll just watch him really closely to see how he behaves over the next few days.