View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I loved it too! But then Dr. Hodgkins is one of my heros . . . . . (she's the vet that feeds raw to her cats and used to work for a major pet food company *coughhill'scough*).

I don't really think the point of the documentary was to tell you what you should be feeding your pets, but more to open people's eyes as to how nasty the pet food industry is. I thought the emphasis was on the need for better regulations in what is essentially a self-regulated industry. Hopefully there are a few more people out there that saw the show and will go "hmmm" next time they're buying the gynormous bag of crappy kibble.
While I agree that it was a great thing to open people's eyes, don't you think that at the same time it will make people wonder what they should be doing instead? It ends up spreading fear instead of giving alternatives

I don't think they should have said outright "This *blank brand* food is what you have to feed your pet" , but I think guidelines would have been nice. Otherwise it just kind of falls into the category of fear mongering, IMHO.

Pointing out the shortcomings was great though. I liked how they dispelled the info that Purina Puppy and Dog Chow have been advertising lately - I saw the commercial that said that it would increase the dogs life by almost two years and wondered how that could be, knowing what was in those foods. Showing that it just meant them eating less was pretty shocking
They shouldn't be able to get away with that!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)