View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually got the impression from the spokesperson that the problem wasn't the pitbull, but dogs in general. I agree, why mention the pitbull? (Yes, I know the obvious answer). It is only creating more hysteria. I don't think the post office person really mentioned the pitbull. If anything I got the impression he was saying it's dogs in general that are the problem. I think the owner's reaction was to the media, not the post office. I know this is the first I heard that it wasn't solely because of a pitbull.

I just finished writing these to letters to Mix 99.9, who reported it was because of a pitbull. Short and sweet, because I'm at work, and I only wrote it because I was ticked off (normally I wait to send it from home)

This is to the news reporter:

Hi Judy,

I usually listen to you guys every morning on the way to work, like probably 95% of you listeners. I can honestly say that of the many morning shows I've listened to over the years, and in many parts of the province, you are one of the few female personalities I've honestly enjoyed.

I have an issue, however, with your report of the other day. I realize you are probably not responsible for writing the reports, but I wanted to bring it up to you just the same. You mentioned about the Ottawa area, and the area where postal service has been suspended due to a loose pit bull. That is, in fact, false. The pit bull is not the reason, several loose dogs is the reason. Here's an article here:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...24/728024.html

The pit bull in question was actually loose one time, as you can see by the above article. By misleading the public, you are helping to fan the flames of the hysteria surrounding the dog right now. As well, I have yet to hear any reports from your morning news about dog attacks, unless it is a pit bull. Yet, in the last 6 weeks, there have been six, including 3 hospitalizations, including one child. None of them pit bulls. One of them was a postal worker in Orillia, where the head of the union himself stated they have not had an issue with pit bulls, its been other breeds.

I understand the publics reaction to the dog. I felt similar (though not quite as overboard as a lot). Then we happened to get a dog from the humane society that we found out after we fell in love was part pit. Out of 5 dogs I have lived with over my life time, she is the most gentle, and most loving. Before we made the decision to keep her, we read book after book, and visited numerous websites, including the American and Canadian Kennel associations. The natural tendency for the breed is to be loving and loyal, and excellent with children. Believe it or not, this is why a lot of owners have this dog, not the small sub-set of meat-heads who need an ego boost. This dog lives to please. The myth that as a group, the majority of us are people with fragile owners are looking for an ego boost is just that--a myth. We live in a nice area, my wife is a bank manager for a large branch of a major bank, and I will hopefully be soon on the police force. We have met many, many owners who are more like us, than the public's vision. And they all say the same thing. After having one, they can't imagine any other breed, because of their disposition and loyalty.

I don't expect you to take my word on all of this, but I would ask that you talk to your friends at the Toronto Humane Society who are against the ban, and have stated the same thing that I have. As well, if you get a chance, take a look on the web at some of the knowledgeable web-sites. At the very least, give us a chance before you condemn us on the radio. It isn't fair to us, or your other listeners.

Thanks,

This is to the station:

I wanted to ask you why your reporting is so bias when it comes to pit bulls? The only time a dog attacked has been mentioned is when a pitbull involved. Yet, in the last 6 weeks, there have been at least 6 attacks by other breeds, three resulting in hospitalization, one of which was a child. People look to the news for unbiased reports, yet you choose instead to help fan the flames of widespread panic. The other day, there was a report that in Ottawa, the post office chose to stop delivering to a certain area because of a pitbull on the loose. Here's what actually happened:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...24/728024.html

It was because of several dogs, one of which happened to be a pit-bull, and who happened to be loose one time. The postal union has stated on several occasions that they do not feel any one breed is an issue, but rather all breeds. Ask the head of the Orillia postal union where one of there members is currently recovering from a dog attack.

You aren't a news station, so why are you looking for the headlines? It's only making you look silly when the facts do come out.