Thread: Digging
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alajoagra
Hello everyone! I am just writing because my sister is having the same problem. When she got the dog ( he is about 6 months old now. ) they told her she should put the dog in a crate during the day to potty train him, which she did for a little while, but now the weather is starting to get nice and she feels bad for him in his crate all day long so she tried leaving him out side but now he is digging holes all over the yard. He is apit bull, lab mix, I told her labs are known for digging but, I have forwarded her this thread so she can see what everyone thinks, let me know if there is anything else I need to know as he is half pit bull! Thanks everyone! TGIF!
She was told to use the crate for housetraining, and not for the dog to live in it. AFter being left in a small cage "all day long" and now left out in a yard, no wonder he's bored, overcharged with energy and has no way to use it up except for digging.

Leaving him outside is not the answer. He needs exercise and stimulation. What exercise is he getting? He should have at least one long walk a day, plus playtime, fetching or whatever.

I also suggest highly obedience classes so your sister can learn how to train a dog and get tips about how to care for one.