Thread: food filler
View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I took some frozen pumpkin I'd prepared a while ago and mixed it up with a bunch of snowpeas that I'm not gonna eat anymore. Pureed it all in a blender and made up a bunch of baggies that I froze. About 1 cup in each baggie and I'll defrost one each day, divide it between his meals. Working good so far.

He doesn't like veggies so he does eat slower when I mix that stuff in with his kibble. And I don't think he'll start demanding it since he'd be quite happy to just get straight kibble. I don't think I'd mind if he got picky anyways, since he'd never starve himself and being lean is better than the alternative.

Kirklands has 26% protein, which isn't that bad really. Wellness puppy formula only has 28%.

The suggested feeding is 2 1/3 cups/day. I don't mind giving him a bit more than that since he is still growing. He was getting 3 or even 4 cups/day while on the farm and while he's not quite as lean as I'd prefer, he's certainly not fat.

Interstingly, Wellness suggests 3 cups/day for a dog his size and age. I would have though it would be less, since it's a better quality food.