View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM

Update: So it turns out we didn't get the blood work results today, as the "lab was running behind". Argh. It's more frustrating because when we called earlier in the day they made it sound like we would be hearing back very soon. Ah well, nothing to be done. I did get to talk with the vet, and she said that she didn't necessarily think he was crashing and he might just be going through a phase of nausea/bad appetite which we can handle by altering the treatments in some way. Unfortunately we won't know exactly what the situation is until tomorrow, but the vet thought it was ok to keep him at home until tomorrow, when we get the results. In the meantime, she recommended trying to get him to eat as much as possible, and she also recommended moving up his scheduled fluid dose from Tuesday to tomorrow, so we'll be giving him that in the morning.

On the bright side, Smokey seems to be feeling a bit better. He takes a nibble of food now and then and I'm throwing a bunch of stuff at him to see what'll stick, so hopefully in total it'll add up to a decent amount. He's also not hiding, which is a good sign. He seemed reluctant to move around earlier, but now he's walking around, using the litter box, and hanging out in his usual spots. I'm keeping a close eye on him though. He's still obviously not his usual self, tired, not interested in playing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
knowledge
Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely try elevating his food and water bowls, and making sure he has enough food before going to bed at night. I have been measuring his water drinking as you recommended, and there's no major change as far as I can tell. I usually check every day to see how much water he's been drinking.

I picked up some baby food and canned tuna (for the tuna water) since they've been recommended as useful in getting sick cats to eat. I couldn't find the brand of baby food everybody seems to recommend, the best I could get were chicken and beef flavours, with no onions or garlic listed on the ingredients, but the ingredients list does have a generic "spices" ingredient so I'm not sure what that means exactly and whether or not it's safe for Smokey to eat. I also got some chicken broth but I couldn't find any with no sodium.

I also got cans and pouches of stinky wet food to try, and hopefully like I said out of all that he'll get some food into him.