View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

"Hope" is saved

this was a heartwarming tale from my little 'ol town
http://www.wawa-news.com/Newspages/0...nday/Shot.html

in case the link doesn't work...
Quote:
Tourists noticed this poor creature close to death on a bush road. She was muddy, only skin and bones, with a wound on her head and neck. She obviously had puppies a short time earlier.

These compassionate people threw some hamburger at the dog, which she inhaled awkwardly and growling all the time. Then they alerted the Wawa Humane Society.

We gave her time to recuperate from what ever traumatic ordeal she had undergone. The severe diarrhea, due to long starvation, took two weeks to get under control. When she had gained weight and was strong enough, we took her to a vet, and to our dismay, the x-rays revealed that she had been shot at close range.

She has lead fragments in her skull, throat and as a result of the shot, is blind in her right eye. She was spayed at the same time, received her vaccinations and was tested for parasites.

She is a two year old, small shepherd mix, good natured, and trusting again. She is active, playful and is looking for a good home to call her own. She need a little training to walk on a lead, and has to learn simple commands like "sit" and "stay". A fenced in yard would be ideal for her, but most of all she needs a compassionate, patient and caring family to complete her second chance at life.
and the conclusion
Quote:
It was one of the most distressing news articles to hit the website... An irresponsible pet owner shot their dog, and then left it injured to starve and die.

Thanks to the Wawa Humane Society and Karin Grundt this dog, "Hope" as she has been renamed, has a new home. A couple from Sault Ste. Marie have become her new guardians, and from the stories I have heard, she is fitting in wonderfully.

It is heartwarming end to the story. Well, perhaps not an end... Efforts are underway to determine why "Hope" was shot, why she was left injured to starve... ...and what happened to ther four puppies.

Officials say "this matter is still under investigation".
and, of course, a picture of the beautiful girl
Attached Images

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)