View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Just a few more questions...

Thanks to all who responded to me…I really appreciate it! I have a few follow-up questions for you…

• My dog is receiving “free feeding”…her bowl is down and has something in it at all times. The article suggests that is not the best idea, however my Vet did STRONGLY suggest to me that the “free food” method is best for a dog’s digestive system and over-all health if they respect it-i.e. don’t keep eating till they puke! Charlotte takes two or three bites all through the day and has done this since she was very little and I have had no problems with potty accidents etc. Should I change this even though it is contrary to my Vet?
• Charlotte does sleep in our bedroom, but in her crate. When she turns two I was hoping to graduate her to a big girl bed. I just can’t imagine putting her in the laundry room or downstairs by herself to sleep….don’t the pack leaders and the subordinates sleep all together in the wild?
• In the article (which is very good!) it mentions that in the wild if someone tries to challenge the Alpha dog, he/she will get a quick but stern reaction from the Alpha to remind them of their position…when Charlotte does growl at me or my husband we quickly grab her by the scruff of the neck and say firmly “No” Am I doing the right thing? I thought it simulated what her Alpha would do in the wild.

You have all been very helpful to me! I really appreciate it. Let me also say that my little Charlotte is not a “bad” dog. She is funny, very busy and a joy to have in the house. As I type she is resting her head on my foot and sleeping very soundly…just didn’t want you all to think she was Cujo.