View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
Good morning Michelle,

Diet information
I will break this into two types of suggestions.... 1) prescription diets and 2) general recommendations with regard to holistic diets.

1) Science diet k/d is the diet for garden variety kidney failure. c/d would be useful if a pH problem is also present.

2) What is necessary in a kidney diet? Some of the general principles include a low protein diet (protein is cleared through the kidney and so the less the better) (a NO protein diet however cannot work, the body will start to break down its own muscle); also low phosphorus is important to relieve stress on the kidneys, and having a diet rich in omega fatty acids can help to improve kidney blood flow.

Hi Dr. Lee, thanks for being so generous of your time and knowledge, and welcome to the board! Although I don't currently have any pets with renal issues, I'm interested in what you think of some more recent theories that less focus should be put on the amount of protein consumed, and more on the quality of the protein. These references in particular caught my attention:
Part 1 NEW INSIGHTS AND TREATMENTS OF KIDNEY DISEASE
Part 2 MANAGING A RENAL CRISIS
Mythology of Protein Restriction for Dogs with Reduced Renal Function PDF

Also, at what point would you recommend subQ fluids?

Hope that you stick around here, it's actually not a bad place to be.