View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your new addition. Also, bless you for taking a rescue.

Rescue dogs and shelter dogs alike may take a while to adjust to their new surroundings. I have had 64 rescues in my home and adjustment varies from one dog to the next - so it is difficult to speculate how long the adjustment period will be. However, I have found that the dog will usually be on the best behaviour for 2 weeks and then certain 'quirks' will arise (which is normal). Also, full adjustment (average) period is anywhere from 3 months - 6 months and by this time his/her character is fully exposed.

The best advise that I can provide is for at least 2-4 weeks, try to establish a calm bond with the dog. Activity in the household should be minimal.

When the dog cowers or hides in fear or distress, pull out his/her most valuable possession (a toy would be the best) and encourage play. Use a normal voice that you would normally use and not a 'little' voice. Just be normal and encourage the dog to participate using his toy as a vice to divert his mind from being submissive and shy to a mind that is more assertive and confident. I guarantee that this will work - it has never failed me.

The best remedy is changing the mind set of the dog at 'that' moment by diversion.

Good luck.