View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Exclamation 6 month old cat drooling 48 hrs after spay

Hi, on Monday morning I had my cat, Binx spayed. Shes 6 months old and 6 lbs. I dropped her off at 730am and picked her up at 330pm. They said the surgery went well but "she didn't like the medicine used to calm her" they didn't say what they meant and I didn't think to ask. I just figured she HATES the vet, she use to be fine but the last 2 visits before the spay she has went ballistic with the new vet They told me they don't normally give pain medicine for spays but to give her 0.18cc of bupenephrine at 830 that night and every 12 hours after that. At first, I gave it to her but she was so sedated and was drooling all the time and it made her smell HORRIBLE, I called the vet and they said to stop giving it to her. It's been over 24 hours since her last dose and she's back to her normal self BUT she started drooling again a few hours after I tried to feed her (she barely ate) she's going to the litter box fine, acts normal, eats and drinks okay except for that one time (she has ate once since then and ate all of it) I'm not giving her large amounts of food so I'm not sure what to think Her incision looks fine, no swelling, redness, odor or discharge. Could it possibly be from the incubation tube used during surgery just causing a sore throat? She does sound a little raspy when she meows. She has licked her incision but I stopped her and fed her right after (this was the time she didn't eat much) she started drooling an hour later. Could licking the incision have something to do with it? She keeps licking her lips like shes keeping the drool in her mouth. She doesn't smell bad anymore, I still plan on calling the vet in the morning since its 11pm here and the clinic isn't open. My mom owns dogs and cats and none of them have had any problems from being spayed and didnt get any pain medicine after. Anybody have something similar happened or have any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by Binkybinky; December 8th, 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Update