View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:04 PM

Hill's Prescription a/d Feline ... input sought.

Hello, all. This forum seems very helpful and vast with knowledge and thus, I signed up to ask some questions and hopefully learn from everyone here over time.

Our dear cat, Mickey, was the victim of a car incident on Tuesday. He is a 10-year-old domestic short-hair who was given to us from my mother who was moving from Alberta to Manitoba and could not take him with her. He was an outdoor/indoor cat his entire life, so we were limiting his outdoor excurisions in hopes to spare him this situation. Unfortunately, he decided to dart out in front of a passing car right before our eyes.

After some extensive surgery to his jaw and the extraction of some teeth, Mickey is home with us a doing fairly well. He's a very loveable cat by nature so after surviving an injury such as this, we would've expected his demeanor to alter... but lucky for us, he's still his usual self despite his jaw being wired nearly shut.

After I've had my intial emotional roller coaster response to this incident, I'm now on the hunt for further information and education. Despite the vet's office providing us with excellent animal care and emotional support, I did not get the information I sought regarding the pet food that was prescribed to Mickey.

We received 6 cans of Hill's Prescription a/d Feline and dear Mickey, always the hearty eater, is motoring through the cans of cat food very quickly. I'm wondering if there is anything out there in the cat food world that is a slightly more cost-effective alternative but similar in nutritional value? As Mickey is slated to have the wiring removed in February, we have over a month of this type of food to supply to him...

Any insight or thoughts or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.