View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster, I have used L-lysine for my cats when I would adopt new ones and they would pass on the URI to the others. Unfailingly it would clear up the symptoms within 1 week or so. I am fortunate that none of them has had any replases. The first time I bought the L-lysine in a syringe form (in a paste) from my vet but afterwards switched to capsules I bought over the counter. I just got an empty syringe, put in a little distilled H20 and powdered lysine and inserted it in the side of the cat's mouth. (For my own purposes and on the advice of a Naturopath that works for my employer I also added pulsatilla (a homeopathic), sodium ascorbate vitamin C and rescue remedy to the syringe as well.)

Keep in mind (and vets will tell you this) the virus can become active when the cat is under stress. You may notice Bunduk gets the symptoms of a cold when he is under stress. This is one reason when someone brings a cat home from the Humane Society (where URI's are so common) it is necessary to keep them separated from other cats and in as a stressfree environment as possible.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!