View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

I think e-tubes can be amazingly helpful in these situations. It will definitely help your own peace-of-mind, especially since Tig doesn't otherwise seem to be suffering from any obvious illness. While syringe-feeding can cause a deterioration in your bond, tube-feeding can actually improve the bond. My cat would look forward to our regular feeding sessions because it was quality one-on-one time with him sitting comfortably on my lap for half an hour while I slowly injected food into his belly. In fact he went from being very much a non-lap cat to a total lap cat after that time period.

The recipe I used for tube-feeding was with Hill's A/D diluted with water and various supplements added (tailored to the specific cat), blended in a food processor and then smooshed through a sieve to get out the larger particles that might clog the tube. Your vet should be able to give you a recipe with the correct proportions of everything. I made enough at one time to last 3-4 days in the fridge (make sure you warm up the food first before feeding - I would fill 3 syringes and place them in a bowl of warm water for 10-15 minutes).
Thanks for the info, makes me feel a little less anxious. How much did you have to feed your cat? Tig is 8 pounds and does well at 9 pounds. The problem I'm having with Syringe feeding is getting enough food into him.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Trey our 3 legged terror - 2014