View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Definately makes sense. When we had Lucy she could be a bit of an instigator and Riley always felt the need to defend her bad choices. When we have my mom's dog Sam (littermate to Riley) I am always way more careful about other dog interactions. It's to bad you don't live closer because Chase would really benefit with a group walk that a dog class I attend does monthly. All dogs are on leash and walking forward in a brisk positive motion. It is amazing to see the confidence this gives to fearful dogs and also to dog agressive dogs .

Oh something like that would be SO good for him!

I Agree. I know that you would never do that anyway Chaser . It is important to prevent things like dog agression wherever possible because each time it happens it reinforces the behaviour. Studies have shown that brains create pathways each time a behavior is successful and then the behavior becomes automatic as the dog just reacts and doesn't think.
Yeah, that suggestion got a giant NO from me. I'll keep my other thoughts on it to myself.

Interesting about the neural pathways....I really haven't thought about the physiology behind the behaviour before. I think I can definately find opportunities for him to build confidence and have positive interactions. It will just mean splitting him up from his sister more often. Though to be honest, I've wondered for a while now if they've become too intertwined....perhaps they would benefit from more independent activites to break up their pack mentality a bit and re-train Chase's responses.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl