Thread: I want a puppy
View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Hi there and welcome!

A lot of people are in your situation--it does cost a lot of money to have a puppy. However, what a lot of people don't know is that the actual price you pay for the puppy is the cheapest expense of all!!! I'll break it down for you just in case you don't already know (you may know this though..I don't know!)

In the first year, a new puppy will run you well over 1000 dollars in extra expenses, if not much more.

For example, if you were to adopt a puppy from a shelter or humane society, you would pay about 300 for the actual dog. This would include having it spayed or neutered. Then, you would need take the dog for its first vet check--pay the vet fee, any fees for meds he or she may need (which is typical really). This could run you about 250 for the first visit. Then, your dog will need its shots if you want it to ever go outside. These shots will run you about 100 a piece for the visit and the shots--you get this done three times in the first year.

So--now you are at 850 in expenses so far for the first year. This however does not include food, toys, a crate, leashes, doggy coat and booties if needed, any special treats, doggie dish, doggie x pen, and training. This will run you about 500 in the first year.

So again, now you are up to 1350 in the first year. Keep in mind however, your dog may need its nails clipped--if you aren't planning to do it yourself--this will cost about 15 bucks a shot--every three months or so. Your dog may also need its hair cut--about 4 times a year. This will cost you about 35 dollars each time.

Now that being said, if you think you can afford the expense of a dog--and account for the numerous blips like ear infections, eye infections, etc that cost you even more money in meds and vet care...then you can check out www.petfinder.com to find a listing of all the animals awaiting loving homes in your region!! There are SO many of them just waiting to be loved by an who is there to give them a home and a life.