View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersbf View Post
My dog hunter is 12.5 yrs old German Shorthair Pointer and seems to be physically going down hill fast. He is on pain meds for his knees as well as joint support. He is also on Pro Calm which is an antianxiety med for his intense fear of thunderstorms. He woke up this morning still shaking from the storm last night. Unfortunately, his body is giving out before his spirit which makes this all very difficult.

Just recently he seems to be awake all night panting and moving from one side of the bed to the other, sleeping on the floor. If my husband or I get up to use the bathroom, he scurries back to his bed like he thinks he is about to get the beating of a lifetime. This is a dog that has never and I mean never been hit. We have had him since he was 4 months old and have loved him completely. We are very confused as to where this fear is coming from and it scares me to think that he has dementia or something. When I talked to the vet, he suggested that I take him in for a neurological consult to see if there is something going on.

Here is my problem... He's 12.5 yrs old. With all of the issues he having as an older dog, I hesitate to put him through the anxiety of another visit to a new vet and wonder if anything they have to say will actually improve the quality of life or just cost an arm & a leg to prolong it. I also can't have a big dog acting fearful in a house where we also have kids. About 5 weeks ago my son accidently startled him when he was sleeping and Hunter snapped at him which is why I brought him to the vet then.

Any advice would be welcomed. On one hand, I feel like the writing is on the wall and I just can't read it. On the other hand, I worry that I would be acting hastily to do anything. I love him so much and I just want to do what is right for him. He has been such a great friend and that is how I want to remember him.
My Standard Poodle was a very proud dog , people would come up to me and made a comment about how proud my dog looked. So when Finlay got cancer I decided I did not want my dog having to feel like he was doing anything wrong like having accidents in the house. And Finlay was starting to get a gaze in his eyes then start growling at me . He never did this before and I was worried the cancer may had spread to his brain too. He came into a room one time and just started to growl at me. This was the second time in a week and I knew my dog was slowly losing his mind and I had to think of my my grandchild who was only 5 yo. I knew then it was time to let my beloved dog be in peace. I put Finlay down while he still had some pride left but his body was failing him badly , he could not eat anymore and I was not going to have him stay overnight at the vet and be all alone at night. I knew it was time when Finlay was starting to growl at me like he did not know who I was, the cancer was eating away at my beautiful dog and he was in pain . I told Finlay I was going to take his pain away from him and carry is for him.
I am so sorry to hear about your dog .

Last edited by Barkingdog; May 24th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.