Thread: Wasting Cat
View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Wasting Cat

She has been seen by a vet. I'm just looking for other options. I work for a veterinarian in a research facility (not by choice, I'm military) and took my cat to see him.

Boo is almost four years old. I have had her and two other cats since they were kittens and they have lived strictly indoors this entire time, Never even setting a paw outside the house.
She gets vaccinated for FELV, ditemper combo and rabies every year.

In the beginning of May, it was discoverd that she was very dehydrated and had gone from 4.6kg to 3.0kg. She is now at 2.5kg. She has now completely stopped eating on her own and is being syringe fed. She is getting SQ fluids daily because she keeps getting dehydrated. She was vomitting everything that was fed to her for a while. She was put on Prednisone on june 12th and has stopped vomiting, but stil will not eat. She has been seen drinking and licking up catnip. Her attitude is good. She is social and receptive to attention, but slightly withdrawn from the other cats.

Radiographs were unremarkable. Ultrasound showed that one of her kidneys was "funny looking". She now has very slight jaundice. The vet suspects lymphoma but says she's too much of an anesthetic risk right now to take a biopsy. Her bloodowrk shows a recent elevation in her lymphocytes to 78%, low overall WBC count, and a low HCT. Her BUN is a little low and creatnine on the high end of normal limits. Everything else was normal. Her blood work has fluctuated a lot. Sometimes pretty much normal, other times something was too high or too low. She gows to the bathroom with some regularity now that she is being force fed (she deals with it okay)

The vet can't tell me what's wrong with her. HELP!